Wednesday, April 4, 2007

the lenten journey

this lenten journey has been about self-discovery. 40+ days of learning as the Holy Spirit has guided my thoughts and words.

right now i am Peter. that is my discovery. and yet - through my repeated study of 1,2 + 3 John I want to be like John. well, i want to be like Jesus - but i am drawn to John's humanness and through which the Spirit guided him to teach and lead through love.

But i am seeing that i am a pre-Pentecost Peter. bold at times - but cowardly at the times when i need to be vocal. i guess deep down i don't like confrontation. But the Spirit is working within me and has given me words that in time i will share with those who need to hear it. it will be a challenge that i willing accept.

God has placed some words on my heart. I anxiously await the time when he wants me to share them.

and so this journey of self-discovery has brought out new revelations.

I am drawn to the dust of Jesus. I am excited to learn more and more what it means to be his disciple - so that my garment will be covered with his dust.

the Spirit has been faithful even when i have not.

my last goal of this lenten season is to focus not on myself - but on Jesus and His sacrifice that will be remembered this weekend. for that, i don't have words...

2 comments:

troy. said...

I admire your journey this year. I was gonna say I'm jealous of it, but I think admiration is more accurate.

After reading this post, I just felt the heaviness of conviction press down on me. My time w/ the Lord has been few and far between this Lenten season.

I started off strong, but faded within two weeks. And now I've spent the last week running around like a madman getting stuff ready for our Sunday service. I still have a bit more to do. And despite my best intentions, I fear that somehow I've missed Jesus in the process. Thankfully, He never stops chasing us.

Father, I long to be alone with you.

Tamara said...

"I am drawn to the dust of Jesus. I am excited to learn more and more what it means to be his disciple - so that my garment will be covered with his dust."

This brought to mind the end of the dust video we watched in Breakfast club.

I love this.

" May you believe in God. But may you come to see that God believes in you. May you have faith in Jesus. But may you come to see that Jesus has faith that you can be like him. A person of love, compassion and truth. A person of forgiveness, and peace, and grace, and joy, and hope.
And may you be covered in the dust of your rabbi, Jesus."