Friday, February 23, 2007

Are You Hungry?

Traditionally, the Friday's during Lent are considered days of fasting. Many celebrate the Fridays of Lent by partaking in some sort of fish and abstaining from meat products. Though not quite as symbolic as it once was, this practice of fasting is still in place in many people's lives.

While I myself do not practice the eating of fish on Fridays during Lent, I have often thought about the practice of fasting. I have attempted fasting from food, and all I end up doing is focusing on my physical hunger instead of a hunger for God. Through reading A Lenten Hobo Honeymoon, I have came to realize that fasting is not only about the physical act of non-eating, but can also be about the practice of abstaining from apathy and the injustices present in our lives.

In Matthew 5:6, Jesus says, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Here he is not talking about those who hunger for physical food, but instead those who hunger for holiness and justice. We are called as Christians to stand up against injustice, but for so many of us, it is easier to take the easy road and sit back and believe that someone else will get the job done.

I have always believed that I have a heart for those less fortunate than I and I have always wanted to reach out to others that are hurting. These beliefs were the basis of my choosing social work as my major in college. Although I didn't have everything I thought I needed, I knew that I had a lot more than so many others and some part of me wanted to reach out and give some of that back. I really believed that I could go out and make a difference- to somehow impact someone else's life.

As you can expect, my eyes were really opened and not only did I see the apathy of many inner-city teens, I also felt as though I took on a lot of the problems of others and although I wanted to make a difference, my part seemed so little it didn't matter.
I decided to leave the social work field after my oldest child was born and though my heart still breaks for others, I am not longer out in the field trying to make a difference and honestly don't pay much attention unless it happens right in front of me.

After reading today's reading, it really hit me. I really want to take something from this Lenten journey and with that must come an attitude change. I have become those apathetic teens I used to try and help, my life and my walk with God has unfortunately simmered down to less than luke-warm.
With that fresh in my mind, instead of choosing to fast from food this Lenten season, I am instead hoping to fast from my own apathy and thereby hunger for my God again. I want to be able to just Love again...to be able to reach out to others and let them see the Love of Christ in me and see my love for Him written across my face. Too long have I been in a fog and allowed myself to become blind and uncaring. I want to feel hunger and once again yearn for the closeness that we once shared, so I then can in turn reach out and simply love others in the way He has continually loved me.

No comments: