Thursday, March 8, 2007

1 John 5: bold and free

vs. 13-17

we become BOLD and FREE in His presence,
freely asking according to His will...

John says that we can ask God for anything and know that he is listening.
We can have confidence that what we ask for is ours.
as GOOD as OURS? really?

Do I really believe that? I mean, I do, but then why don't I ask? Why do I sometimes resist to turn to God when I need help?

I like, though, the example of what to ask for in vs. 16-17.

"For instance, if we see a Christian believer sinning, we ask for God's help and he gladly gives it, gives life to the sinner whose sin is not fatal."


i love it. John's example: a Christ-follower is caught up in sin (not 'fatal' sin)... we can ask God for help and it will be given.

His example is not prosperity based. it is a request that will improve the well being of a fellow believer. The request example has no selfish motive.

--> a BOLD and FREE selfless request to God.

Often my selfishness gets me into trouble - and I petition God for help. I wonder what I could accomplish for the name + sake of Christ if my selfishness would subside.

this Lenten season is about repentance. through that - may we understand what we can accomplish as Bold and Free followers of Jesus.

No comments: