Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Prayer

Prayer, talking with God, Communion with Him...what is it all about?
We are called to be in ceaseless prayer, though how many of us can actually say that happens in their lives? I know I can't... and I know that I should pray more than I do. For me, prayer seems so awkward sometimes... I know- I should pray as if I am talking to a friend... but heck- last I checked- I can readily hear most of my friends- where with Jesus, either a) He doesn't speak audibly or b) I have turned off my listening ears. Now I know that He can speak through other people and such... but for me, not hearing that immediate response can sometimes be disheartening.
While my spiritual gift may not be in prayer... I have been trying to add it to my everyday life... and that of my two kids as well. We make sure to pray before meals and before each of them go to sleep at nite. I must say, one of my favorite parts of the day is praying with my 20 month old before bed... hearing her say, "Dear Jesus"... and "I love you Jesus, Amen" just melts my heart. I pray that she and my son will both have this prayer life ingrained in their lives early so that it is easier for them to connect with Him as they grow.
I pray that during this Lenten season, I, as well as you, are able to learn to reconnect with our Father through the discipline of prayer. I need to add in more than just those "breath prayers" and grace before meals and praying before bed... after all, He is the best listener out there : )

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I've just started a " Prayer" journal. ( I think tim is actually the one who recondmended this, but I'm not sure) I'm trying to write down the prayers I remmember throughout the day and before I go to sleep along with what I'm reading and learning from the Bible on that date. I've only done this a couple of days so far, but I think I'm already seeing its benefits. Especially when God reveals the sin/ areas I need to improve on my life, it helps to have it written down on paper as a reminder of what to work on, and to go back and see how God's working in my life. I've also noticed how God answers my prayers through scripture, I'll pray for advice on something and a few days later I'll find the answer while reading the Bible. It's really neat to see.